Nørre Allé 51, 2200 København N, August Krogh Bygningen, Universitetsparken 13, 2100 Københav, Building: 2 sal
Scopus Author ID: 7004155171
Brief personal background
Ylva Hellsten is group leader of Cardiovascular Research within The Integrative Physiology section The Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sport, University of Copenhagen. She is Professor in Cardiovascular and Exercise Physiology. She received her undergraduate training at Hampshire College and University of Massachusetts, USA and her doctoral training at Karolinska Institute, Department of Physiology, Stockholm Sweden. The current research group consists of three post-doctoral students, four PhD students, a number of masters’ students and technical staff. Main research interests lies within the area of cardiovascular physiology and physical activity and inactivity (for current projects see below). In their research the group focuses on human studies but also conducts cell studies to further understand molecular mechanisms.
Current research projects address.
- The influence of estrogen loss i women on vascular health and the effect of physical activity
- The role of endothelial mitochondria in vascular function
- The role of pericytes in skeletal muscle angiogenesis
- The importance of the Pannexin-1 channel and sympathetic nerve activity in essential hypertension
- Remote ischemic preconditioning and the mechanisms underlying its effect on the cardiovascular system
- Platelet function
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Exercise and training phsyiology
- Effect of physical training on cardiovascular health